Click Image for Frames
There’s something about our captivating California coast that intrigues and delights me. Whenever I set up my easel along the shore, my imagination takes flight.
When I began to paint this imposing lighthouse, I was lost in reverie. What would it be like, I wondered, if the keeper’s house were more than the humble cottage that met my eyes? What if, instead, it matched the tower in grandeur and dignity? I began to paint the answer to my questions, creating a scene that merges two of my great passions – elegant Victorian mansions and stalwart lighthouses. Here, in Victorian Light, is the wonderfully civilized formal grace of a great mansion married to the primal strength of a light tower.
Lighthouse keepers are notoriously lonely; their devotion to their duty is like a religious calling that cuts them off from communion with their fellow men. That’s always bothered me a little; to me the lighthouse is a symbol of hope that should comfort us all.
That’s why I’ve given this lighthouse keeper a home I would love to visit. The graceful filigreed cupolas, the white picket fence, the charming gazebo extending out over the water, the warm glow at twilight – it all says to me “welcome. This beacon of faith is yours to share.”
- Thomas Kinkade has hidden five N’s in Victorian Light in honor of his loving wife, Nanette.
- In Victorian Light, Thom has combined two of his most favorite painting subjects: the formal grace of the Victorian house, and the strength of a great light tower.
- Victorian Light is the seventh piece in Thom’s Seaside Memories Collection. This is one of his most popular collections.
- The gazebo overlooking the ocean in Victorian Light provides a perfect spot to relax and listen to the soothing sounds of the crashing waves – this piece truly invites the viewer in for a closer look.
- Thom has made Victorian Light very unique compared to his other lighthouse paintings. This is his first lighthouse painting to feature a Victorian home instead of the humble cottages that usually accompany his light towers.
|Subject Location||California's Coastline|
|Collection||Seaside Memories VII|
18" x 24"
24" x 30"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463