Click Image for Frames
The Sound of Music
Ever since hopping a train box car to sketch America in his youth, Thomas Kinkade loved to travel and paint. And one of his favorite destinations was the magnificent European mountain range known as The Alps. Traveling throughout these snowcapped mountains with his wife Nanette and their children, Thom crafted a number of important works such as The Matterhorn, Spring in the Alps, and Heiligen Blut.
As the family hiked the peaceful alpine pastures at the foot of these stunning mountain peaks, they were fond of singing songs from their favorite musical The Sound of Music – these memories are cherished by the Kinkade family – memories of nature’s beauty, the love of family, the fun of adventure, and the visual reminder to not be afraid to “Climb ev’ry mountain, Ford ev’ry stream, Follow ev’ry rainbow, Till you find your dream.”
These great memories and themes are wonderfully captured in the Thomas Kinkade Studios’ painting The Sound of Music. Leaving behind the beauty and safety of an idyllic life and home in Austria, the von Trapp family risks everything to follow their dream – a life together wrapped in the love of faith, family and home – the things they truly believe in.
This historic musical The Sound of Music, was the final collaboration between the legendary team of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II – two men who also dared to dream, and ended up giving the world – and the Kinkade family – the most beloved musical of all time.
- The image is based on the Broadway Musical: The Sound of Music.
- There are nine hearts hidden within the painting, one for each of the seven children plus Maria and the Captain. A couple reside under the tree in the background – they can be interpreted to be either Maria and the Captain or Liesl and Rolf.
- Maria and the seven children are singing along the waterfront, while the Captain can be seen looking on from the front steps.
- The Abbey can be seen up in the hills above the von Trapp home, and three nuns are walking along the path on the left.
- The meadow in the mountainside above the home is where Maria sings the infamous song: The Sound of Music.
- The Alps mountain range was one of Thomas Kinkade’s favorite places to paint. He enjoyed traveling there with his wife Nanette and their four daughters. Thom’s paintings of the Alps include The Matterhorn, Spring in the Alps and Heligen Blut.
- The Sound of Music film is a favorite of the Kinkade family. Nanette even said “Our family has watched The Sound of Music many times together and it is a favorite. We love the music and know all of the songs.”
|Title||The Sound of Music|
|Subject Location||The Alps, Switzerland|
|Classification||Thomas Kinkade Studios|
18" x 27"
24" x 36"
28" x 42"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463