Click Image for Frames
The Open Gate
For me, gates are about the unexpected.About curiosity and exploration, about the child-like heart in all of us that takes flight as we anticipate a new journey. And of all gates, The Open Gate is the most inviting.
As I began mapping out my new Summer Gate Series, I spent time pondering the qualities of an open gate. It began to dawn on me that as a counterpart to the monumental expansiveness of my Summer Gate painting, a smaller and more intimage gate might also beckon the imagination to the lush depths beyond.
The Open Gate, overgrown with flowers, is based upon a real location in the English Cotswolds. I’ve kept the sketch for years, waiting for the perfect occasion to use it. I’ve found it now – this snassuming portal, perhaps a half-forgotten side enterance to the gardens, is left open as an invitation to all. Will the child-like heart inside of you insprie you to journey forward?
- Thomas Kinkade has hidden three N’s in The Open Gate as a loving tribute to his wife Nanette.
- It was years ago on a trip through the English Cotswolds that Thom first sketched out this beautiful gate, it is only now that the scene has finally come to life!
- The Open Gate is a rare release as it is the only time the second painting in a collection has been released immediately following the first.
- The Open Gate, in its smaller format, is a stunning compliment to the beauty of Summer Gate – and is a great paining to add to your collection.
- As most know, gates are one of Thom’s favorite subjects to paint; The Open Gate, second in the exciting new Summer Gate Series, captures both the beauty of summer and Thom’s attraction to the mystery and wonder of an open gate.
|Title||The Open Gate|
|Subject Location||Cotswold, England|
|Collection||Summer Gate II|
16" x 20"
18" x 24"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463