Click Image for Frames
Sometimes art is born of inspiration, and sometimes of destiny. In the case of my epic painting The Cross, I felt both. As part of the redesign of the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, North Carolina, I was asked to provide an image for use on a large wall.
A very large wall. In fact, as I examined the project, I discovered the surface in question was nearly forty feet wide and almost twenty feet high – truly a moment of destiny for any artist. To create the oil painting that would be the basis for the final mural, I utilized one of the largest canvases I have ever attempted in my studio. A full six feet wide, this canvas would be enlarged to create the final epic-sized mural.
I conceived the work as an extension of an earlier painting I had created entitled Sunrise. This painting would take that same vision of a rugged cross upon a mountaintop to new levels. The process was thrilling! As I worked it was as if Heavenly light began to pour upon the canvas. It seemed that God’s inspiration kept renewing me to the task at hand.
A final aspect of the creative process came when Franklin Graham himself suggested a fitting title for the work: The Cross. This simple title reflects the lifelong calling and legacy of his father, the evangelist Billy Graham. My prayer is that this painting will bring hope to many just as Billy Graham has brought hope to millions through the gospel message.
- Thomas Kinkade has included three N’s hidden in The Cross as a symbol of love for his wife Nanette.
- The Cross was born after Thom received an honorable request to provide an image for a large wall as part of a redesign of the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, North Carolina. Thom attended the re-opening of the library in April of 2010 to unveil The Cross as a thirty-two foot mural.
- Thom took inspiration from one of his prior paintings – Sunrise – to create this extraordinary work. Sunrise is now sold out at publisher, as is one of Thom’s most successful paintings. The Cross is certain to follow the same path.
- The Cross is the third release in 2010, is the third release in Thom’s Epic Eight masterpieces, and is being released in four unique sizes. Thom had spent many hours perfecting this masterpiece – the original canvas is an entire six feet long – the largest Thom has ever painted!
- Here is what Billy Graham has to say about Thomas Kinkade: “God has certainly given you a wonderful talent, and we are so glad that you have committed yourself to convey the Good News of the Gospel through each and every painting.”
- Visitors to the Billy Graham Library will be able to see the amazing installation of The Cross, plus will also encounter highlights and memorabilia from Billy Graham’s extraordinary life – a journey from the pastures and dirt roads of North Carolina to platforms and arenas in the world’s greatest cities.
- The centerpiece of the Billy Graham Library is A Journey of Faith – a presentation that features multimedia displays and re-creations of historic moments in Billy Graham’s life and ministry. Spanning the decades from the 1940s to the present, the exhibit shows how God prepared and used this humble man to take the message of His unchanging love to an ever-changing world.
|Subject Location||Haleakala Volcano, Hawai'i|
18" x 36"
28" x 42"
30" x 60"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463