Click Image for Frames
Main Street Matinee
Main street! How often as a young man did those words cross my mind. Main street was for me a dreamy, idyllic destination like some foreign country one reads of and thinks of often, but rarely gets to visit. A place where we as children would go to on Saturdays aboard bicycles that fairly flew as we peddled down the dusty city streets towards our destinations.
In my Main Street Memories Collection, I celebrate the main streets of my imagination. Places where trolley cars clang, movie matinees await us, and a celebration is always in progress. These are the places where people gather to do their business and share the activities of a more simple ear. I hope you’ll meet me on main street!
- The Placerville, California tetrad was coined as the Gold Country Series – Main Street Celebration, Main Street Courthouse, Main Street Matinee, and Main Street Trolley.
- Main Street Matinee was set in Thomas Kinkade’s hometown of Placerville, California.
- He painted this painting when his wife Nanette was pregnant with their first daughter Merritt, so he featured her name on the vintage car and painted the three of them walking down the street with a baby carriage – on the left-hand corner of the painting.
- Also notice that this painting, Main Street Matinee, is featured in the store’s front window – so Thom called it “a painting within a painting.”
- Main Street Matinee was originally entitled Placerville in the Snow.
|Title||Main Street Matinee|
|Subject Location||Placerville, California|
|Collection||Main Street Memories III|
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463