Click Image for Frames
Key West, Florida has long attracted literary luminaries and world figures. Like many visitors, I was attracted by its small town charm and vividly colored tropical vistas. I have hidden a number of world figures in my Key West painting, most notably Ernest Hemingway – who stands in the front of his beloved Sloppy Joe’s Bar – where he held court during the last years of his life.
I’ve included a number of vintage cars in my painting to suggest the nostalgic charm as evident today as it was in the earlier decades in Key West. In the clear air and luminous sky the Caribbean colors rise to vivid heights. I utilized a broad stroke technique along with much fine detail to capture the festive atmosphere of Key West.
Between ten and twenty layers of paint, featuring delicate glazing, create the opalescent hues of the Caribbean. If you have fond memories of America’s southernmost city, if you long for the tropics, or if you simply enjoy the dramatic charm of a bustling town, Key West could be a treasure in your home.
- Key West, Florida is the southernmost city in the United States of America – located on the outer tip of the Florida Keys.
- This tropical island is washed in the colors of the Caribbean, and loved for its balmy weather and clear blue skies with warm, crystal waters.
- Many celebrities have been attracted to this tropical getaway – in Thom’s depiction of Key West, look closely to find Ernest Hemingway included in the painting. Others who have loved this town include Thomas Edison, John J. Audobon, Lou Gehrig, Harry Truman and Tennessee Williams.
- Key West is a city where real estate titles date back to the Kings of Spain! Palm trees line the streets filled with centuries of architecture – from Victorian mansions covered in gingerbread to tin-roofed conch houses – the town’s history is rich in lore.
- Key West has a timeless quality due to Thom’s inclusion of several vintage cars in the artwork.
- The Sloppy Joe’s Bar has been located at the corner of Greene and Duval streets since 1937. Ernest Hemingway was one of the most famous patrons of this bar, where he held court during the last years of his life.
|Subject Location||Key West, Florida Keys|
18" x 27"
24" x 36"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463