Click Image for Frames
Cannery Row Sunset
Monterey’s famed Cannery Row is undergoing a renaissance. No longer the bustling sardine fishing center immortalized by John Steinbeck, it entices visitors today with its many fine shops and boutiques.
As I continue my odyssey as an artist, I find myself drawn to the historic seaside villages of California. One of the reasons, I believe, is that the coastal air – saturated with mist – lays down a mirror-like film of moisture on streets and walkways. Cannery Row Sunset created to celebrate Cannery Row’s 50th Anniversary makes full use of the reflective play of light and color, not only on the busy streets but upon the luminous surface of Monterey Bay.
As I worked, urged on by crowds of enthusiastic collectors, a friend drove up with his historic 1953 Chevy Bel Air, which takes us back to the glory days of Cannery Row. Many of the colorful storefronts also date back to the ear immortalized in Steinbeck’s novels. A historic Cannery Row walkway bridge crosses the thoroughfare and in the distance we see hints of the world famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. Sunset enriches the vista with touches of pink and gold – soon it will be time for a relaxing meal of seafood fresh from the bay.
- Cannery Row Sunset has three N’s hidden in the painting, as Thomas Kinkade continues his loving tribute to his wife Nanette.
- Cannery Row is waterfront street and designated tourist spot with many restaurants and hotels and a few historical attractions. Located along the Pacific Coast in central California on the Monterey Bay, the city is a site for a number of now-defunct sardine canning factories.
- The street name of Cannery Row was formerly a nickname for Ocean View Avenue, and now is the official name for the street.
- Monterey is known for its historically famed fishery and its abundant sea habitat. The large diversity of sea life draws thousands of scuba divers each year as the city is considered one of the best scuba diving regions in California.
- It is also the location of one of the largest aquariums in North America: Monterey Bay Aquarium. The aquarium is located at the north end of Cannery Row and hosts several important marine science laboratories. Today the area around Cannery Row is a marine sanctuary and is home to a large resurgent population of California sea lions.
|Title||Cannery Row Sunset|
|Subject Location||Cannery Row in Monterey, California|
18" x 27"
24" x 36"
For Prices and Availability
500 Cypress S-5
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Places in the Heart
1634 Copenhagen Drive S-C
Solvang, CA 93463